PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum  

Go Back   PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum > No Limit Hold Em > Heads Up

Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 PM

Default min raise

Hi need to ask a Q abt HU play.

Maybe this will sound really stuid to someone who plays a lot of HU. I was playing a minitte ago against this guy who was min raising every single btn. What would u do preflop when u have very weak cards like J4 etc?

I ended up folding all these hands which felt like a disadvantage 4 me cuz he was taking so many of my bbs for so cheap? But it also seems wired to call everry time cuz i am playing an awful hand oop.

How would you guys deal with this kind of opponent?

ty
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griizmund View Post
Hi need to ask a Q abt HU play.

Maybe this will sound really stuid to someone who plays a lot of HU. I was playing a minitte ago against this guy who was min raising every single btn. What would u do preflop when u have very weak cards like J4 etc?

I ended up folding all these hands which felt like a disadvantage 4 me cuz he was taking so many of my bbs for so cheap? But it also seems wired to call everry time cuz i am playing an awful hand oop.

How would you guys deal with this kind of opponent?

ty
It really depends on how much he's openning on the BTN. I mean, if it's just that his standard open is 2bbs then I wouldn't really make too many adjustments - at least not in the sense that by min-raising he's giving me beter odds on a call. You should still be folding your junk hands because position, initiative, etc... play a much more important role here than the direct odds you're getting. Since he's min-raising and has a wider preflop range, you could 3-bet more for value - but this has more to do with the fact that he's openning more hands than it does with his min-raise and you'd have to figure out how he reacts to 3-bets. It's hard to really give a straight-forward answer like "3-bet more", I guess.

BTW, I mostly play 6max so I'm not really an expert on HU (not that I'm an expert on 6max lol)...

Last edited by RandomID; 03-21-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:37 AM

Like Random said, it shouldn't really affect you're overall play much, but you DEFINITELY should be 3-betting way more as a bluff. I doubt villain would be able to adjust.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 AM

Basically agree with the above repliers.

If you are interested in HU I suggest you to play HUSnGs to begin with, and it will be tremendously helpful for you to watch PrimordialAA's vids. He now makes vids for Cardrunners, and in the past he already issued his series of HU vids. Exceptionally great coach IMO. BTW he opens min his buttons by default, almost all of them, so you can also see what's happening from "villain's" perspective.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM

ok ty for the advice guys, I endend up taking 2 BI's of this guys in abt 1hr, he was pretty bad, but minraise just confused me
Old 05-06-2011, 04:23 AM

I minraise the button against anyone that 3bets a ton or folds a ton from the BB. This is either to force them to 3bet smaller (or make a mistake by 3betting too big), or to force them to call OOP more than they like (or let them hand me free money for the minimum amount of risk). I also minraise against anyone when effective stacks are <40bb to allow for more postflop play.

How you react to this is simple. Call more, 3bet more. That doesn't mean calling hands like J4o, but it does mean calling stuff like K3s or T7o and playing poker after the flop. Any of those hands is fine to 3b with as long as you also 3b your big hands. I like a polarized 3b range of ~25% against most low stakes HU players.

be cool... read my blug

Last edited by no eff eks; 05-06-2011 at 04:26 AM. Reason: i DO play mostly hu