PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum  

Go Back   PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum > Tournaments > MTT

Old 12-19-2010, 01:23 AM

Default Playing A Calling Station

I just finished playing a $10 MTT on FT and had the good fortune of sitting to the left of a complete donk for nearly the entire time I was in the tournament. I didn't have a HUD running, but he was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 75/35. He was calling everything, min raising from any position, and seeing a showdown or getting the opponent to fold in virtually every pot he was in. In short, he didn't fold.

Sounds pretty great, right? I thought so, too. I waited for strong hands and built a nice stack off of just playing hands against him early on - large value bets and getting paid off. As the tournament wore on, his style didn't change, and he started getting extremely lucky. Every hand he was in, he won it, it seemed like. He actually was top-10 overall in a field of over 1000, and my strategy of playing as many pots against him as I could started to backfire when my his hands kept hitting and mine didn't.

What I am hoping to discuss, is how should I have adjusted -- or should I have -- as the tournament wore on. I was playing my standard game (about 24/17) and had position on him, but he kept hitting, and would not fold to any bets. I had a very cold run of cards and couldn't get much help on the boards I did see. In short, I ended up getting slowly worn down before finally busting -- meanwhile, the calling station had a very healthy stack as I waved goodbye.

The solution seems simple -- just be patient until I hit, and then get the chips in. That worked early on, but it's tough when you're not hitting. So I ask, what should I have done? Should I have shoved preflop with strong hands? I thought about this -- you know, just getting my chips in with likely the best hand -- but he was just so fishy that I wanted to just outplay him postflop and not rely on the luck of the cards. I dunno, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM

I don't know if you will drop back in to pick up this, but here i go anyway...

What size tables were you playing on?

I am thinking about your vpip/pfr stats...

I have become gradually aware that table size is critical to it all. After playing 4max, 6max and full rings MTTs and SNGs, I've come up with these observations:

4max 30/26 ranges seem ok
6max 25/18 r ok
9plus 15/10

In other words, we can be led astray by our stats somewhat if we don't keep in mind how many avg oppos we are up against each played hand.

So if you were in a 9 or 10 seated MMT, then 24 / 17 are way up there, and so if one is playing too many hands, then it's possible for bad plays/leaks to occur more frequently.

What think?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappelhans View Post
The solution seems simple -- just be patient until I hit, and then get the chips in. That worked early on, but it's tough when you're not hitting. So I ask, what should I have done? Should I have shoved preflop with strong hands? I thought about this -- you know, just getting my chips in with likely the best hand -- but he was just so fishy that I wanted to just outplay him postflop and not rely on the luck of the cards.
You pretty much nailed it. Play him when you have position, great hands, or on a free blind. Don't bluff at him ever. Just call with better hands and wait till you hit to take his money. It can be annoying to play a guy sitting to the left that plays this style. considering he came top 10 in a 1000 pool it was most likely he just ran a sick heater. Don't get to frustrated over one MTT. I have a buddy that plays MTT for a living and is a great player. He gets it all in as a huge favorite vs these guys all the time and gets sucked out after playing 3-4 hours in, doesn't even phase him.