PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum  

Go Back   PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum > Off Topic > Poker Brags and Beats

Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Default Running Bad Too...

When I first start playing poker seriously about 4 months ago I played both cash games and tournaments. That is when I started to read, study and watch videos on poker. I picked up on some tournament strategies fast, so at first I started to favor tournaments but then Retrospekt87 brought to my attention that I should have cash games as my main focus. I did some research and he was right. Although I would make some small cashes in tournaments the variance is just too high. Okay I have now been putting more hands and study for cash games. At first everything was going great. It seemed as if I was going to build my bankroll fast. Then it started downhill. It seem as the more information and strategies that I learned the more devastating the results were...

Here is the question I'm trying ask... I'm playing 5nl because that where my bankroll allowed me to start... I'm not bluffing at the tables until I get a solid image... I know that you can't bluff the calling stations. I feel like the problem is the more aggressive I have gotten the more I started to lose... I'm not going to revert to being passive so what should I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chart1.jpg (35.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-02-2011, 06:17 PM

First off this graph is 7k hands. Phil Ivey, one of the greatest poker players of our time could be running just as bad if not worse in that amount of hands. Its hard to know when to use aggression and when to be passive. If it was so easy we'd all be rolling in the cash. I still fight every single day with poker despite all the hard work I've put in. I've gotten Pocket Ace's cracked by 8-4, 7-2 all-in pre-flop back on back to back tables.

Its unbearable to deal with some of the situations poker puts you through. You are on the right track, use good bankroll management and learn to step away from the table as long as you need to. These are two important lessons I still can not master even after losing tons of money.

I haven't seen to many hands posted by you, to start off why don't you get more active with posting hands, and also start commenting on other peoples posted hands. I have been wrong and looked stupid with several of my post, but you know what? I remember those post the best and take that with me!

Best of Luck To You!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 PM

Look, that's what...7000 hands? You know, I just played a 2500 hand session today - that's not a sample size you should be making any kind of conclusions from.

99% of what you're feeling is probably the run of cards you've been getting (plus the tilt). Right now I can't tell whether you're Phil Ivey or a cat pressing random keys on the keyboard - not without looking at how you actually played your hands.

You should play in a way that maximizes your expected winnings in each individual hand. Sometimes that means you play passively, sometimes it means you play aggressively and sometimes, for a less experienced player, it means avoiding making big mistakes or putting yourself in marginal spots. But each hand/situation is unique, so I suggest you go through the 7k hands, find spots where you feel uncomfortable/unsure if you made the right play/etc... and post the hands on the forum(s). That's the only way anyone can give you actual advice on your gameplay, the generic "be aggressive", "don't bluff calling stations", etc... only get you so far.

EDIT: Retrospekt, I promise I didn't copy your post - you must have posted while I was writing mine! Damn, even the same Phil Ivey nonsense...

Last edited by RandomID; 03-02-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Phil Ivey! ;)
Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomID View Post
Look, that's what...7000 hands? You know, I just played a 2500 hand session today - that's not a sample size you should be making any kind of conclusions from.

99% of what you're feeling is probably the run of cards you've been getting (plus the tilt). Right now I can't tell whether you're Phil Ivey or a cat pressing random keys on the keyboard - not without looking at how you actually played your hands.

You should play in a way that maximizes your expected winnings in each individual hand. Sometimes that means you play passively, sometimes it means you play aggressively and sometimes, for a less experienced player, it means avoiding making big mistakes or putting yourself in marginal spots. But each hand/situation is unique, so I suggest you go through the 7k hands, find spots where you feel uncomfortable/unsure if you made the right play/etc... and post the hands on the forum(s). That's the only way anyone can give you actual advice on your gameplay, the generic "be aggressive", "don't bluff calling stations", etc... only get you so far.

EDIT: Retrospekt, I promise I didn't copy your post - you must have posted while I was writing mine! Damn, even the same Phil Ivey nonsense...
HAHA it comes better from you
Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 PM

This is always hard to deal with. Right when you think you've got the game down pretty good everything comes falling apart. It seems to happen a lot with people here, including with myself. I think my problem was I got to confident and something happened with my play. Do you have any reasons why you think this happened?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 PM

I will start to post more hands and become more active in the forums. I have played more then 7k hands. I tried PT3 and HEM at the beginning of 2/11 but they were trails. So I've only had the full version of HEM fo a little while. I did take some time off from my poker play. That is kind of why I was not posting in the forum.

2500 hands in a session... Wow!!! I only play 3 tables at a time so I can't put in a massive volume like that in a session yet. But you are right about the aggression (RandomID). I should be adjusting it according to the situations.

I think my problem was I got over confident as well and thought this was going to be a easy task to build my bankroll and move up in stakes. One thing I can say is that I don't go on tilt anymore about bad beats or misreads. If I do get off my A game I'm done with the session.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:44 PM

I would actually start my bankroll playing SNGs, not cash games. I play both.. and to a player who even remotely understands SNG strategy they're a lot quicker to beat than cash games at the micros

More to the point, aggression at the micros needs to be kept in check. There are a lot of artards who will shove any two cards if they feel there's a 10% chance they can take down the flop, and so a lot of people make calldowns with trash. Showdown winnings and flop cbets are going to be 99% of your winnings
Old 03-03-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortify View Post
to a player who even remotely understands SNG strategy they're a lot quicker to beat than cash games at the micros
Could you go over some SNG strategy with me? Over PM's or skype maybe? Also what is your win rate for SNG's and what stakes?

Sorry to get off topic, Fortify please PM me rather then reply on thread.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback... Just give a little update, as I was doing a hand history review on some of my losing sessions I notice a leak. There were spots that I should have been checking for pot control but instead I put in a bet inflating the pot with a marginal hand then which would make me pot committed.