PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum  

Go Back   PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum > Coaching > Questions

Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 PM

Default Micro Stakes Coaching

I sent Jon an email in regards to me posting in here - if there is any issues with this post please let me know.

Micro Stakes Coaching

I currently coach a number of 25NL, 50NL and 100NL players, my students come from a wide variety of backgrounds, from SNG players making the move to cash, to live players making the move to online and online players who have read the books, post on the forums and are now looking for that extra push to bring all the information together into a winning strategy.

My coaching follows a rigid course structure where we address the following topics:

Preflop
Three Betting
Continuation Betting
Value Betting
Post Flop Decision Making
Opponent Types and Exploitive Lines

With each session I provide the following:

Lesson Handout
This handout covers all the concepts discussed during the coaching session, quite often we cover a wide range of issues and it is easy to forget specific concepts discussed. With this handout you have a reference document to study once the session is completed as well as a guide to constantly refer to.

Session Sheets
These are a great learning tool to assist you in applying the concepts taught each lesson. The Session Sheets are a targeted learning aid which force you to focus on specific areas covered in the lesson in the hands you play between coaching sessions. These also provide a great form of feedback to ensure that what is being taught is being incorporated into your game and understood properly.

As a coach I also provide:

Accountability
At the beginning of every session we go over the hands you have played between coaching lessons. This way there is no hiding from your results, while it can be quite painful to be shown the mistakes you are making I have found this "tough love" approach to be extremely useful in a students development. It is also important to note that these hand reviews are also useful in identifying common leaks in your game, when identified I also explain what steps you need to take in order to plug them and remove them from your game.

Access
I am always available to my students through MSN, AIM and Skype - I play 6 hours a day almost 7 days a week so its hard not to find me online.

Whether its a concept you want to understand better or a hand history you wish me to review - I am always available to you.

Why you should choose me as your coach?
With myself as your coach you have a mentor who is devoted to improving your game. Through my structured learning process I provide you the tools to take my concepts and implement them immediately into your game for an improved winrate.

I also look through the hands you play so that while you are incorporating the lessons I teach, I am removing the leaks and common errors in your game.

In addition you have a constant and available learning resource who you can discuss hands with and improve your poker mind and development.

I believe that this process of structured learning, play review and hand discussion will allow you no excuses for not being a winning player - with hard work and the concepts and tools I provide you with - you will become the poker player you want to be.

Rates
My charge is $50 per session.

It is important to note that you only pay me at the END of each session, this is my guarantee to you - payment is only made if you are happy with the assistance I am providing as a coach.

If you are not satisfied with my services - do not pay me.

Before we sit down and begin a session all I am is a stranger on the internet asking you to pay me to talk to you - this is why I believe it is important that I show my value to you as a coach before you make payment.

Website
I am currently working on my coaching website, this will provide a forum for all my students to discuss their development and understanding of concepts. In addition I will be providing videos as well the ability for my students to create poker blogs where I can track your progress and continue to assist in your development even when our formal coaching relationship ends.

Micro Stakes Lectures $10-$25
Depending on interest I am contemplating offering some Micro Stakes Lectures, these are targeted at 5NL-25NL players who do not have the bankroll for formal coaching.

These lectures will be made to large groups and will cover similar topics as my course structure for coaching.

While these lectures will not involve handouts, sessions sheets or the other personal assistance to develop your game which comes with coaching, I believe they will still be a valuable asset to help those players without the resources for coaching to improve their game tremendously.

Contact
If you have any questions or queries please feel free to contact me via PM or ask them in this thread.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM

What kind of results do you have as a player?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 PM

I played poker professionally for over a year about 3 years ago, this was predominately limit - back then almost everyone played limit and NL cash was a game for weirdos (even though they were making 2x or 3x what everyone else was.

After a while I started to grow bored of poker and life of playing online (playing online poker for a living is a much harder life than most people think it is), made the move to NL and went back to normal work.

I came back to poker a couple time during that time, mainly treating it as a hobby. Fast forward to late last year when I started to get back in poker hard again - during this time I found a love for poker that I never really had before and my game progressed in leaps and bounds.

As of February this year I quit my 72K a year job and came back to poker full time once again and am really happy with the decision.

I believe one or two of my students frequent this forum, I will ask them to provide some feedback.

With any coach I believe it is important to have a discussion with them and feel them out, the online poker coaching business is filled with very dodgy operators.

This is part of the reason why I only accept payment at the end of every coaching session - I believe it is important that a coach shows value to a student. In a lot of cases, players new to coaching get sucked in by a "selective" graph and effectively get ripped off.

As I always say the proof is in the pudding, if you are thinking about getting coaching please feel free to shoot me a PM and we can have a chat over MSN/AIM or Skype.

I am always happy to talk to people about poker and have a look over stats and hands with no strings attached.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to mxrider Send a message via Skype™ to mxrider

Even though you think that people can get sucked in by a selective graph (which is true), you still have not shown what kind of winrate you have at these limits. It is important for people to feel that their coach is a truly winning player at the level they are coaching and showing some stats for those levels with a significant # of hands would go a long way.

Stars: MXRider
FT: MXRider
Level: La-La Land
Old 04-04-2009, 03:14 PM

I have absolutely no doubt OP is a winning player. The fact that he quit his job to play poker tells a ton but I would still like to know what limits you are normally playing and with what winrates. Also, do you only teach 6max or perhaps HU/full ring as well?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Padawan Send a message via Skype™ to Padawan

To everyone wanting to see a graph,

I have tried getting coaching from various players that are winning players... and the one thing I can say... is just because they are winning players does not mean they know how to teach.

Just the simple fact that he is saying pay me only if you are satisfied with the lesson makes me want to check him out. Whats the harm? If you are going to fire up a session on tuesday at 7pm... why not IM him and say ok lets do this. If he sucks as a coach, then so be it... thanks for sweating me sir and I dont think we will be continuing. BUT if he is good and you learn some things then by all means pay the man what is due to him and continue... Its hard to find someone willing to do this.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 PM

What level of competence do most of your students have when they begin training with you? Your description makes it sound a little like your target market is weighted towards the more inexperienced end, is this correct?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:35 AM

Apologies for it being so long since posting, been very busy with poker, coaching and developing my site (finally up at the end of this month).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpaulvalley View Post
What level of competence do most of your students have when they begin training with you? Your description makes it sound a little like your target market is weighted towards the more inexperienced end, is this correct?
Yes that is correct.

I have recently moved to 200NL and have a couple 100NL students but I much prefer coaching 10NL-50NL. The reason being that I feel I have put together a very strong coaching/learning structure for these types of players.

As you move above this it can sometimes be difficult to get fast returns on the money you spend for coaching.

I know there was a number of times while I was playing 100NL that I did not feel the coaching was worth it (even though the coaches were great) just because sometimes its hard to really identify what you need to know to make the next step, when I get a better understanding of how to turn a good microstakes player into a good 100NL player I will be much more comfortable coaching that limit.

Because I have a very good feel on how to improve poor to average microstakes players in to good players and have a very strong structure in place, I much prefer to coach those limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
Just the simple fact that he is saying pay me only if you are satisfied with the lesson makes me want to check him out. Whats the harm? If you are going to fire up a session on tuesday at 7pm... why not IM him and say ok lets do this. If he sucks as a coach, then so be it... thanks for sweating me sir and I dont think we will be continuing. BUT if he is good and you learn some things then by all means pay the man what is due to him and continue... Its hard to find someone willing to do this.
Thanks for the kind words Padawan.

That is basically my thoughts as well, the only thing that matters in a coach is that he improves your game.

What I offer is a risk free, proven, structured approach to improving as a poker player.

If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a PM, I will try check this site more regularly.

Last edited by TRD23; 05-07-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to garbageman18

it is true that just cuz your a winning player doesnt mean that you can teach but you still have to prove you are a winning player from graphs and winrate and move on from there. I dont know why anyone would just get coaching from someone who says they are a winning player. I can just say im doing coaching and I beat 5k nl on a consistent basis and am willing to coach if thats the case
Old 05-11-2009, 01:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to garbageman18

also references should be a must when your consideringa coach imo