PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum  

Go Back   PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum > Coaching > Questions

Old 06-17-2009, 06:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to matttheman
Default trapping myself, need help

I cannot refrain from it, I do it all day and my $ go down the toilet, every single day.
1st scenario) The I got the best hand, lets not scare em away hand.
example 1.
Ive got AA, lets say in SB, utg raises 4bb, Btn calls and I 3bet to only 12BB in a 100BB game. The board comes uglywet and I stack off!!

example 2.
Ive got AA in BB, 100BB again. SB raises to 3BB, I 3b to 9BB, SB calls. flop is xh,yh,zh(note I havent got a heart), SB checks, I bet pot, SB cminraise I instapush!!!

2nd scenario) Strong made hands on ugly boards, how to let go
example 1.
Ive got AKo in SB, 100BB make it 4BB to go, BB calls, flop is K66r, I think "tptk, BVB=nuts", so I pot the flop, pot a blank on the turn, 1/2 pot another blank the river, villain raises and I am more than committed and cant fold.

example 2.
Ive got QQ otb, 100BB, I open for 3BB, SB calls, flop QJ2r, I make it 1/2pot, to get called, turn comes the K, I get scared, pot it, SB craise AI and I snapcall

every day I tell myself not to do it. It fills me with so much self-hate and desperation that I cannot stop but giving opponents the chance to outdraw me, whenever I have a hand strong enough to stack off with. I cannot stop.
I need help.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:07 AM

Quite common leak imo, probably the thing thats hardest to plug, but the first thing any sucessful player will plug. Though, most still suffer from it from time to time. I'm not an expert, but let's see

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttheman View Post
I cannot refrain from it, I do it all day and my $ go down the toilet, every single day.
1st scenario) The I got the best hand, lets not scare em away hand.
example 1.
Ive got AA, lets say in SB, utg raises 4bb, Btn calls and I 3bet to only 12BB in a 100BB game. The board comes uglywet and I stack off!!
first of all, 3 bet more, you don't really mind a 3 way pot with AA, but you prefer a 2 way (more chance opponent will spaz out/call worse hands/ not suck out) Your out of position, so this is another reason you want to be betting more. Always play agressively if you have to play out of position. I'd say raise from 15-20bb, depending how stationy your opponents are.

This way, they are a lot less likely to call with 'draw' hands i find. You will often be called by QQ/JJ/TT/AK/AQ.. all of which you pretty much dominate completely. Small 3 bets get called by hands like 87s+, 22-JJ and the like, especially in multiway pots.

Basically, the more you manage to squeeze in PRE (whilst you are DEFINITELY ahead) the more justifiable getting it in on almost any flop is, due to pot odds, and the ammount of time your opponent is committed.

Quote:
example 2.
Ive got AA in BB, 100BB again. SB raises to 3BB, I 3b to 9BB, SB calls. flop is xh,yh,zh(note I havent got a heart), SB checks, I bet pot, SB cminraise I instapush!!!
This is an ugly situation. It is hard to get more in pre BVB, though 9 bb (3x) is still small. This time your in position, so it is ok. When he checks this flop, it is fine to bet, but if he raises... well you have to resort to your reads. Does he check raise draws/bluff a lot? Pay attention to these facts. Is the board low enough that his 88-TT is an overpair?? Does he spew off his stack with TP in 3 bet pots? Really villain dependant.

Most of the time, I think I am spewing my stack off too.
Quote:
2nd scenario) Strong made hands on ugly boards, how to let go
example 1.
Ive got AKo in SB, 100BB make it 4BB to go, BB calls, flop is K66r, I think "tptk, BVB=nuts", so I pot the flop, pot a blank on the turn, 1/2 pot another blank the river, villain raises and I am more than committed and cant fold.
Really, a 6 is not in his range. cept 66 and 67 and maybe if he's really loose, A6. it is more likely he has a dominated king, although I think it is possible you can check call the river. And if you think his flop call is suspicious, check raise the turn, check fold the river. That is two streets of value on the turn.. meaning you invest the same ammount, but if he bets river or comes over the top on turn, it's FAIRLY safe to fold.

Quote:
example 2.
Ive got QQ otb, 100BB, I open for 3BB, SB calls, flop QJ2r, I make it 1/2pot, to get called, turn comes the K, I get scared, pot it, SB craise AI and I snapcall
Think you mistyped this or something... what you scared of? AT? T9? He never has AT... if he does, you should not be bothered.. it is such a small % chance he does. It is more likely he has QK, or even 22... in which case u have him dominated. There is a chance he has T9.. in which case you have 10 outs anyhow.. it's never BAD getting it in here.

Quote:
every day I tell myself not to do it. It fills me with so much self-hate and desperation that I cannot stop but giving opponents the chance to outdraw me, whenever I have a hand strong enough to stack off with. I cannot stop.
I need help.
Well, really, you know you are doing it, it is hard, but just STOP, watch some trikkur videos, perhaps start from scratch. your opponents WILL bluff.. quite a bit actually, but calling them all the time and hoping they are bluffing is just insane... most of the time, they will be as scared as u on certain boards.. if they bet/raise it they either have balls of steel, or a nut hand.. so fold... if they do have steel balls, you will see it soon enough by paying atttention, and then owning them with a top pair hand.

Last edited by Spinage; 06-18-2009 at 01:11 AM.