PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum  

Go Back   PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum > Coaching > Questions

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:20 PM

Hmmm, nostalgica, can we ask you for analysis for a few hands?
Old 11-24-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwodwols View Post
This all sounds sketchy to me. Only Urbansprawler would be able to say if this guy is legit or not. Making all kinds of money in graph and will work for tips, I call BS. No history with this wannabe junior member. I think he is a flake if you ask me.
He has posted his HEM screenshots and in depth strategy posts and you still doubt him? I can't say whether he's good coach or not, but there's nothing suspicious in Nostalgica so far imo.

I think it's a shame that his strategy posts got almost ignored here. I'm myself f***ng frustrated with HUSNGs (after breaking ever for my last 150 games) that I didn't even bother reading them earlier, but I certainly will.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansprawler View Post
I'm pretty sure this guy has nothing but good intentions. The question if he's good.

I don't play HUSNGs often, but if anyone wants I could do a session with him and report back.
Haha, I commented on his thread and laughed, so he's annoyed I guess.

I understand that it's important for a coach to be genuinely good, otherwise they may teach you to beat the limit, but not improve on the poker mindset and approach. I feel that the things and way I teach will help a student not only with beating the low limits, but also to move up and improve as a player. I also do feel that I am a more-than-good-enough player to do all this, even if I am not a brilliant player by any means. I will be glad to try prove this. I don't mind playing a reg over 10-20 matches, at either 50s or lower stakes, or even playing some cash HU. It's unnecessary variance, but I don't mind a challenge and chance to play good regs.

If it makes it more worthwhile, I would be quite glad to do such a session and record my side of it with comments, if the other player does the same; it may turn out nicely as a video for the site.

In any case, I will be having a sweat session soon with tdc007 and breeezzz, and some other students. I will ask them if they are okay with me recording the sweat session and posting it up. That way, I will have posted a video on pokertrikz, and potential students will get to see how the coaching works before. If I do this, it is well received, and I get more enquiries, I plan on removing the tips-only offer, though, as I've got a few students already and don't want to worry about people wasting my time.

I think this will be fair, any comments?

A friend wanted me to record a coaching session of him sweating me for some reason, so I will post that up in a second.

Quote:
Hmmm, nostalgica, can we ask you for analysis for a few hands?
I will be happy to. I have already done some hand history reviews with some students that I think they wouldn't mind me posting, but as they are still micro stakes players, it is focused more on fundamentals than more tricky spots, so perhaps an impromtu hand review in this thread will be preferable.

By the way, I am changing my prices somewhat.

CHANGES:

Sweat sessions are now $35/session (1-1.5 hours). Hand histories are $15/tourney or $13/50 hands when done in batches of 250 or more. This may seem like a substantial increase, but I believe the price I offered at first was already incredibly cheap, and it is still cheaper than fair at this point.

I will also coach 50NL HU Cash and 6Max-FR cash, as I can crush those, but those are not my main interests.

edit:

Link here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OFXZTLS9, it was for a private study group thing on 2+2, I believe, but this may show some of the thought process/discussion. (I am the player in this case, playing on FTP instead).

Re: Chinz, if you do read my article, please comment on it/give me a review if you have time. I am quite happy with it, and will be glad to answer any questions, or, if there is something wrong, make amendments. It is not complete as I've been busy with university, but I hope to finish it eventually, and I think it will be quite useful for players transitioning to husngs. I do feel that I have much to offer for smart players looking to make a quick jump to the format, so I think it will be relevant.

Last edited by Nostalgica; 11-24-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 PM

I read some of it and loved it.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:17 AM

The vid is WON-DER-FUL!!!

I don't play HU myself for different reasons, but watched a bunch of free vids from this site and some others, and I would 100% say your vid kicks ass the most of them :

Really really loved it, will watch again definitely, thanks man!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:14 AM

I am glad you liked it. I quite like doing things like this, making videos and coaching, which is why I am trying. If I have the chance I will post more of myself playing or as the coach, if people like this sort of thing.

If there are any questions about the video or article and such, I will be happy to answer also.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Yeah I think I'll watch it again and there might be some questions...

And maybe better upload videos into a "Videos" section here?

Upd: here we go, the audio is a bit scratchy and you talking simultaneously so some questions are due to this...

5:12 - why it is better to check the flop? Is it because your hand has some potential and you don't want you waste it to a check-raise? Then you planned to call turn bet and then decided to fold to overbet, what's the reasoning behind this? How big of a bet would you have called and why?

7:08 - didn't understand what were you talking about mentioning A-high, could you explain here? And if your river bet (very unlikely) check-raised are you calling?

9:26 - 66 hand, what hands that beat you could he played like this? Are you calling any river?

11:35 - in general, AK is auto-stackoff pre in HU games?

12:18 - A9, how much would you valuebet on that river? Again, can't understand what were you talking about... And what I'm thinking of is wouldn't it be correct for him to raise the turn w pair+flushdraw? I think such a move force you to fold many hands, right?

26:30 - could you please explain here why flatting is worse w QQ in that spot? A bit of math/ranges would be helpful

27:38 - AKx flop, you had exactly the same spot earlier, why folded then and check-raising now? And did you say floating is also fine option? What turns are you waiting for then, and do you plan to lead or check-raise?

29:52 - Seems you are saying that when you tell opponent you are going to quit soon he is more likely to 3bet you right away, just thought maybe it's nice to wait for a premium hand and tell you are quitting then? Cause you are ready for 3bet

that's all... thanks in advance

Last edited by podbelski; 11-28-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 AM

I'll try to answer these questions, but first I would like to note that I'm the player in this video because my friend wanted a video of him coaching, so I acted as a student asking for his advice/recommendations, though I do believe I asked relevant questions that dealt with game plans and so on.

Quote:
5:12 - why it is better to check the flop? Is it because your hand has some potential and you don't want you waste it to a check-raise? Then you planned to call turn bet and then decided to fold to overbet, what's the reasoning behind this? How big of a bet would you have called and why?
Our hand is still the best hand a significant amount of times, but it is certainly a board where the villain can be making check raises. It is also fairly unlikely for him to fold to one barrel with better hands, although he may fold A7-A9 with no bdfd. As such there is not a lot of value in checking. Since we expect to have the best hand, and can turn lots of flush and straight draws a decent amount of times, I would definitely call a bet here, since we expect to have better equity when getting money on the turn than on the flop (if money goes in on the flop it'd be difficult for us to play because he will stab rivers with air). When he overbets, our pot odds just become bad enough that it's too high variance to continue, and folding is always 0EV.

Quote:
7:08 - didn't understand what were you talking about mentioning A-high, could you explain here? And if your river bet (very unlikely) check-raised are you calling?
If check-raised, I would be tempted to call because he's more likely to be raising the flop with a 3, and it's not in his range, so his range for raising OOP is extremely narrow, like 66 and obviously not even 67, but it could be 45 of course. It would depend on sizing, but I'm calling here a fair amount. What Tim meant was that villains expect us, if we wanted to bluff, to bet the turn instead of checking the turn and betting the river, so our hand is fairly faceup and we won't get A high to call. If we had air we'd bet the turn because it's a scare card and his range is not that strong, and once we check we do not bluff river much, considering the dry flop. Hands like 44-55 and 56 are the only hands I'm getting much value from, though occasionally A high calls also, but this is a small range. Some 7x may fold, but it's highly unlikely.

Quote:
9:26 - 66 hand, what hands that beat you could he played like this? Are you calling any river?
An ace river would be bad, as he can have A2-5 fairly often, though the key is that his entire range is a big question mark because he should not donk this board and take this line with very much of his range at all. By the river, I hope only to beat air and something like 6x. There are not many logical hands in his range, but there are very few logical hands in his range that beats us either. His entire line is weird. Something like K6 K2 w/ a back door draw could make sense, but it's a small part of his donking range because if he donks those, he'll donk other hands like 78 and T8 and so on also, and he will rarely barrel turn with those, because he is not likely to donk a hand in the first place, and he usually must pick up equity (as he did) to barrel turn, and decide to barrel river also. I also do not believe he would donk K9, which is the only value hand from the onset that makes sense. In the end, his entire line looks weird, we have pot odds, we get information + tilt equity by calling. so we do.

Quote:
Yep, no question, even up to 200bbs against a fair amount of players.

Quote:
12:18 - A9, how much would you valuebet on that river? Again, can't understand what were you talking about... And what I'm thinking of is wouldn't it be correct for him to raise the turn w pair+flushdraw? I think such a move force you to fold many hands, right?
Considering how many times hero has soul crushed the villain's bluffs, it's slightly less likely for him to take bluff lines without a lot of equity, and if he has a pair + flush draw, it's fairly clear that he thinks his hand can be good and does not want to raise and get 3bet. He does not want to bloat the pot at this point after I've stacked him twice and have been calling him down. As for value bet, something like 2/3 pot is probably what Tim has in mind. I think checking is fine, but he has lots of weaker nines in his range and not too many tens. There is not a huge amount of value though, so I think it's fine to check, though not optimal.

Quote:
26:30 - could you please explain here why flatting is worse w QQ in that spot? A bit of math/ranges would be helpful
We ALWAYS want to get it in in this spot. QQ has huge equity vs his stack off range on the flop with so many draws, it's that simple. This is headsup, he will do this with K9 A9 TJcc KTcc, etc etc, TT JJ if he happens to have that, 56cc would be flipping, and he may have 78cc also. The only reason I thought of flatting was because I though he'd fold to a 3bet, and I had position. If I knew he'd stack off vs my 3bet with a draw as he did, I'd of course 3bet also. We have more equity on a brick turn, after all, and I thought if I flat he would be turn and let me shove over it.

Quote:
27:38 - AKx flop, you had exactly the same spot earlier, why folded then and check-raising now? And did you say floating is also fine option? What turns are you waiting for then, and do you plan to lead or check-raise?
We know his game a lot better now, and we also believe that he's going to be more keen on getting it in with equity than pure air because he thinks he needs to be aggressive, but also that we'll pick him off a lot. AKx is a board where he will either have a strong hand, or air, especially with my blockers, and he will fold a 9 and K to a barrel a fair amount, because he's more likely to bluff than to call down vs us, since we've mostly shown hands. Finally, our hand could be good, and we'll fold out hands we're flipping against, basically pairs lower than nine. As such floating, peeling, and raising are all viable options, but raising is good to keep the aggression level up, and stop him from calming down.

Quote:
29:52 - Seems you are saying that when you tell opponent you are going to quit soon he is more likely to 3bet you right away, just thought maybe it's nice to wait for a premium hand and tell you are quitting then? Cause you are ready for 3bet
Yes, it is a good point, but I do not think about it too much. It feels a bit towards the direction of angle shooting to me (I know it is not, just the direction), and I tend to be very civil with things like that and telling people I am leaving, etc, but this is personal preference, of course. TJo is too strong to not raise, eitherway, so if I do tell him I am leaving, I will not suddenly not raise it.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podbelski View Post
Completely readless my stackoff range 100bb deep in HU is something like TT+ and AQ+. Actually, if it's the first or second hand, I'm stacking off a lot lighter than that. ...and if you're readless after 50+ hands, HU is not for you! =P

Last edited by chinz; 11-29-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:42 AM

Thanks for you time&efforts
Closed Thread