PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum  

Go Back   PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum > Tournaments > STT SNG

Old 09-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Default Seriouse variance or bad player?

Hey guys,

This is actually my first post! yay :P
I’m a good cash game payer thanks to this site but today I’m here to post a sng question that I have. Since I don't have anyone to reflect with, I figured to post some stats and scores to make this post more understandable.

I have started to play SNG super turbo, with 1000 in starting chips. And the last month i have run into some serious variance. I have played poker for 6 years (cash) but i have never played sng:s for a living, hence i wonder is the variance bigger than cash?

And I also been thinking about the difference between regular, turbo and superturbo sng:s, what are the major differences? Also I would like to know if anyone knows sites which have sng super turbo videos? and some help regarding tourneys with fast blind structure and short stack starting chips?

I think I could say that I play a push and fold tactic, both 6max and 9max. I’m not sure about my leaks and if this is normal or maybe I'm just a bad sng:s player. But i think i should be able to break even, with good knowledge about possition and handranges etc. If I could get a discussion i could post some of my big hands as well to get some detailed feedback.

So I’m here to put my cards on the table and to get some feedback to my play, stats and maybe some tips and trikz.
I attached some stats.
/H

Sorry for my English, I’m a Swedish player, so I had to make an effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg analyse.jpg (97.3 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by shift; 09-29-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to mxrider Send a message via Skype™ to mxrider

Super Turbo sng's are HUGE in variance. It really takes away at the skill in poker and becomes a pushfest/luckfest of whether you get cards or not. I would recommend sticking to regular sng's to start with and outplay your opponents.

Stars: MXRider
FT: MXRider
Level: La-La Land
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrider View Post
Super Turbo sng's are HUGE in variance. It really takes away at the skill in poker and becomes a pushfest/luckfest of whether you get cards or not. I would recommend sticking to regular sng's to start with and outplay your opponents.
I disagree with this. Pushbotting IS the skill in SNGs. You will have a lower winrate at superturbos, but you will be able to get more games in. You just have to figure out how much lower of a winrate and how many more games, and then it's just a math problem.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrider View Post
HUSNG push/fold situations are even more "solved" than STT/MTT SNGs situations, and still there's guys like skilled_sox, DiBasio, Mientjeuh and livb112 who are totally crushing $1000 to $5000 turbo HUSNGs with like 3-5% ROI over huge samples... Are they simply running good, because everybody knows nash equilibrium shove/call charts exactly at those levels...?

I don't know about those other guys, but at least skilled_sox is playing push/fold completely different (well... at least notably different, even with <15bb stacks) than those NE charts would suggest... at least from what I've seen.

And there's some guys who have been playing thousands (5 figure amounts) of high buy-in superturbos with something like 2-3% ROIs... are they also just running good?

---

Unless you're speaking about really high buy-in SNGs that "outplaying" thing really is nonsense... Most $30 SNG regulars (the best ones) are playing like 13/11 style on early levels, and on later levels it comes down to the same push/fold than superturbos... There really isn't any outplaying in FR SNGs imo. I don't know about shorthanded.

Quote:
Also I would like to know if anyone knows sites which have sng super turbo videos?
DeucesCracked has at least one (well, it's actually two videos) by vandweller. There's also a few videos about SNG endgame, which should also be applicable.

Last edited by chinz; 10-01-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by given1982 View Post
I disagree with this. Pushbotting IS the skill in SNGs. You will have a lower winrate at superturbos, but you will be able to get more games in. You just have to figure out how much lower of a winrate and how many more games, and then it's just a math problem.
+1

I agree with this 100%
Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 PM

Thumbs down update

Hey guys,

Okay, So I’m, really frustrated at this point.
The last three weeks I have been playing really good poker without tilting at the tables. So what I’m wondering now is if I should give up this and just play cash because obviously it’s impossible for me to even breakeven.

http://img376.imageshack.us/i/superturbo.jpg/http://img376.imageshack.us/i/superturbo.jpg/

I posted a graph and my starting hands according to the blinds and obviously I raise some hands and I mix them up but this is how I play basically. As I mentioned I’m really struggling with my sng results. I still play 6max and 10max sng:s (super turbo, so the blinds go up every 2 minutes, with 1000 in starting chips).

Hence my results don’t get any better the more I play, even I start to wonder if I’m a bad player.

So which of these options is probably the best?

1) Put your bad beats behind you and keep grinding until the negative variance is turning. (According to HM I was favorite (ev+) 60k chips)
2) I should take a break at least a week until I feel like playing again
3) Try to read more and watch more videos and until then don’t try to think about it too much since this happens for everyone once in a while.
4) Quit playing poker aka you suck.
5) Change site.

Just want to say that I’m only like ~60buyins down thanks to bonus and rakeback but the graph is killing me. I’m not posting any hands because I figured that would just be showing of my bad beats, there just the usual but my question now is when is It going to turn 

Last edited by shift; 10-11-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 AM

Play what you are comfortable and familiar with. Anytime I take a shot at another game or move up in stakes and don't fare well it tends to tilt the shit out of me and make me completely re-evaluate the way I play. I've learned to take a few days or a couple weeks and move back down, re-establish a good winrate and build my stack back up before I take another shot. The super turbo sng's are a difficult transition from cash. If you really want to play sng's why don't you just play normal turbos or mass table regular 9 man sng's? Less variance and more confidence building before making the jump to super turbos imo.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:52 PM

Where is the skill in pushbotting? Or push/fold? If that was the case I think anyone could take up bingo or playing the lottery as a profession. I am highly agreeing with MX.