PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum  

Go Back   PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum > Videos > Video Discussion

Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Default VIDEO DISCUSSION: Trikkur 47 - Heads Up SNGs at PokerStars

**THIS THREAD IS FOR DISCUSSION OF Trikkur 47 - Heads Up SNGs at PokerStars**

I play 3 games of $11.50 turbo Heads Up SNGs at PokerStars. If you are a new player looking to start playing HU, this is a great place to start. Learn a basic strategy to beat the turbo SNGs if you are short on a bankroll.

View Video

Please leave any comments or questions to the video creator below.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 AM

Nice vid, happy to hear your voice again

ATM, I can't see myself playing these things again, it's several moments in HUSnGs that drive me enormously crazy, maybe I'll have an opportunity to talk about it in the future.

Anyway, I love poker in general and having fun talking about it whenever I can

Can't comment much on played hands, I guess I don't see anything I don't like. Also, I consider myself of an intermediate HUSnG play level (after Nostalgica's coaching), so won't bother discussing basic stuff.

What I realized is the most difficult opponents to play for me were guys who limp everything and make sporadic plays everytime so you really have trouble putting them on any range and handread. They don't spew much without a hand, but the way they play is getting you into many awkward spots like you have to close eyes and call 3 streets never sure what to expect on each street etc.

If you come across such guys during the vid it's interesting what ranges you play which way in the BB vs their limp. The last guy in this vid was the kind of the type I'm talking about, but a bit more spewy from what I've seen, and there was not too many sticky spots vs him (the Q6 toppair maybe the only one)
Old 11-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Administrator

I briefly spoke about it in the video, but in my opinion the best way to adapt to those players is to outkick them postflop. Trying to get a hand like K9 and flop a 9 and win a nice pot. Just getting your opponent's cbet, and a turn bet is going to be a large chunk of their stack in these SNGs.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:06 PM

How do you know when to go into shove or fold mode.

I love shove or fold mode because a lot of villains fold too much when you are in that mode.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Normally, you will get into shove/fold mode when once person only has 10 Big Blinds or less. When they are this shallow it's useless to worry about 3-betting etc. You might as well just open shove any hand you are going to play.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:50 AM

The chart that William Chen has in his book assumes, as far as I can tell, that the villain is calling the shove with the range of hands indicated in the table below that. A lot of the villains, though, in reality, play a much tighter range than this, from what I have found. The villains, at least the ones on Full Tilt at the $10 games, don't seem to play it right. Thus, we need to derive a new table to play versus actual "suboptimal" villains.

Lastly, intuitively, playing shove or fold a little bit deeper than 10 BB (perhaps 11 or 12, dunno) may be optimal if villains play really poorly against shove or fold.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Administrator

I do agree you can start to loosen up your shove/fold mode depending on your opponent's play. These turbo SNGs go so fast that there isn't even much time to alter your play though. If you are playing the slower SNGs, hopefully you'll know more about your opponent by then and which case you can play tighter or looser accordingly.

BTW, I'm in the process of rendering another HU SNG vid now. I played well I think, but I was dominated almost every time I got it all in. Lucky for me I suck out quite a bit, so it was a funny video. Hopefully we can start more discussion about HU SNGs. I really do think they are super profitable and fishy for quite a few levels (until at least the $50 range).