PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum  

Go Back   PokerTrikz.com Poker Forum > Videos > Video Discussion

Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Default VIDEO DISCUSSION: Trikkur 48 - Learning to win at 10NL

**THIS THREAD IS FOR DISCUSSION OF Trikkur 48 - Learning to win at 10NL**

I've decided to start focusing the upcoming videos on the micro stakes games. I explain in this video why you shouldn't be ashamed to grind hours and hours at these limits to only earn a few dollars. The process of moving up through the limits is something every poker player has to do and it is important that you grind according to your bankroll. I give more in depth analysis of my plays and define certain poker terms that beginner players might not be familiar with while playing the session.

View Video

Please leave any comments or questions to the video creator below.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 AM

...my comments will be:

77 hand on 89TK2 board:
I like it either how you played, or firing turn and river to make him fold exact the kind of hand he had. Also, he can even check-call the turn again with Jx draw.

I've noticed instead of open-raising you folded KJ on CO and J9 OTB, both on table 4. Guess it because you were talking too much

about floating: another good example is a suited connector like T9hh on a 8h3c4d flop. You have overcards to pocket pairs, also turn can bring a huge combo-draw, or at least an FD or OE. To put it in general, SCs are great hands to float with cause they pick up big draws easily.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator

#1 - You are right. When he shows up with an 8 or 9, I could of probably got him to fold the turn with a bet. It is probably better to actually put out a bet here since we have the bottom end of the straight and some extra fold equity would be good. If I had a slightly better hand, I would like a check back, but I don't think we are good very often, so betting the turn is probably better.

#2 - Yea, unfortunately I do make mistakes when I'm doing commentary. It sometimes gets me distracted especially when I'm trying to make a specific point before I forget it.

#3 - That is another good example. Like you said, it has some of those outs that I spoke about, plus with all the backdoor outs, it is perfect for disguising your hand. I like having disguised outs that my opponent won't guess that I hit, if I'm floating.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:48 PM

On 77 hand, I think if you bet the turn you have to bet the river to fold him off a one pair hand. It's because he's likely check-calling J8/J9/Q9 etc hands on the turn, but will fold to a river bet. If you are not thrilled firing 3 then IMO it's best to play the hand exactly like you did
Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 PM

I just want to say thanks, this is just the kind of content that will help my micro game.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:03 PM

Just joined the site, first post here. First off, thanks for the video -- I think you covered some good information.

Secondly, and forgive me in advance if this is a dumb question, why don't you use a HUD? When you were talking about the players being pretty tight, I noticed that you didn't have any statistics on them (even though it was pretty obvious that all the tables were tight). Thanks!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Administrator

I used a HUD in a lot of my earlier videos, but when I moved to Cake Poker, I wasn't able to use one anymore. I developed my game to mostly just pay attention to player's tendencies and not use a HUD.

If you are at a room that allows HUDs, I think they can be beneficial to your game. The only thing I suggest, randomly play WITHOUT your HUD to make sure you aren't losing the ability to track players tendencies throughout the session.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the explanation and advice. As someone getting back into poker after a few years off, I'm finding HUDs to be a nice complement to simply reading a player. Just wanted to see your explanation. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Default Over-card rep

Hi Trikkur,

Just after 3/4 of the way through this video, there was a hand which you held 9s10s and the board came 2s5h6s. Turn came 8h and river came 8c. You talked about being able to rep an ace through jack on the river and probably taking the pot away from a pair of 6's. Do you think the villain would auto lay his hand down when the river comes an ace, king, queen or jack? If i held his 6h7h I think I'd have to call the river as there was no representation of those cards on the flop or turn. If I was the villain and you 3 barreled me on the river, evaluating the action so far I wouldn't know what you were trying to rep. As the flush draw missed, if an A/K/Q/J rivered the only hand that he might lay down his 67 to would be a straight surely, not the over-cards?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator

I definitely think there are a ton of face cards in my range because of the flush draw on the flop. Anything like TJs+, QJs+, KJs+, ATs+.

A lot of people would continue with 2 overs and a flush draw on that low flop. I think it is really easy for your opponent to sell themselves on "Oh, he had an AX flush draw and rivered his ace here".

The fact that you are putting yourself in villain's shoes though is really good. Always thinking about how your opponent will react is crucial and if you don't think he would fold this river; I believe it is totally correct to play the hand as you see fit.